Supervised mode is the most granular and powerful form to manage and control an iOS device.
The following are some of the features you can get from a Supervised managed device:
- Lock down the device to a single app
- Update apps remotely without any user interaction
- Update device's OS remotely
- Use a custom desktop to show only the desired apps
There are two ways to Supervise a device:
- Using DEP (Device Enrollment Program) devices that are purchased directly from Apple or participating Apple Authorized Resellers or carriers. By using DEP devices, you don’t need to use staging services or physically access each device to configure it. This is very useful when new hardware is needed to be deployed in a large scale, however, Apple has allowed now to turn existing devices with iOS 11 or greater into DEP and obviously Supervise mode, regardless of how those were acquired.
- Using Apple Configurator app and a MAC computer to have a direct connection to the device and prepare it with Supervised management. You can review this support article that provides a step by step process on how to Supervise and Enroll devices using Apple Configurator https://support.moki.com/hc/en-us/articles/230576187-Supervise-iOS-Devices-and-Enroll-in-Moki-Total-Control-Updated-for-2019