This tour shows you the possibilities available through the Actions tab
The Actions tab allows you to perform some of the actions available in the Devices tab at a designated time. They can either run once or repeat daily. This becomes useful when you want to get screenshots or send a Saved Setting to a device at a specific time and you want to schedule it while you remember. These actions are limited to the few actions available within the app but to learn about MDM actions see the article called Manager Tour 9 - Actions Tab. There are three main sections to this tab, the Actions Bar, Action Groups and the Actions List.
1 - Actions Bar
The actions bar allows the creation and deleting of Action Groups as well as custom Actions if the Manager SDK is embedded within the app. Action groups must be created in order to schedule an action. Here are the different options.
- + Icon - Allows the creation of an Action Group, which allow actions to be created for specific subsets of devices, as determined by tags. To learn more about tags refer to the article Apps Tour 6 - Tags Tab
- Creating An Action Group
- Give the Action Group a name
- Click in the text box below the Tags label and select the tags that will belong to this Action Group
- Hit the Create Action Group button
- Trash Can Icon - Deletes the selected Action Group
- Custom Actions - Allows those with the SDK to create the custom action to display in the Actions drop down list. Refer to the SDK documentation for implementing the proper code in the app
- Add - Give the Custom Action a name and hit Add. The Custom Action will show up in the Action Name list below.
- Remove - Removes any selected Custom Action that is selected from the Action Name list
- Done - Saves the changes made
2 - Action Groups
To setup actions for specific devices Action Groups need to be set up (follow the steps listed above). Once an Action Group has been created it will show up in this list. Only one Action Group can be selected at a time. The selected Action Group will be highlighted in grey.
3 - Actions List
Once an Action Group is selected the Actions List is viewable. From here you'll be able to create and edit the actions sent to this selected group. There are three sections you should know about.
- Tags - Click in the text box under label to edit the tags for this action group and hit the Save Tags button or the changes won't be saved
- Add New Sequence - This is what we click to add the actions. It is called Add New Sequence because we can schedule just one action or we can schedule several to fire in sequence. Here are the features you'll see in the popup
- Schedule Name - A name must be given in order to save the sequence
- Schedule Time - This is the time you want the device to fire, as well as the frequency. Currently we only support actions repeating daily or happening once
- Device Timezone - This will be the time the sequence starts, irrespective of where the device is. If you select 7:30 PM Eastern Time and your device is in California, the person in California will see the actions take effect at 4:30 PM Pacific Time
- Add New Action - Click this button to see add a new action to send to the app. You'll notice that these actions are all available to use individually on the Devices tab, however, the Devices tab only allows one action at a time, whereas we can make a whole sequence of actions that fire right after one another at a time of our choosing. Here are the available actions:
- Get Logs - Retrieves the last stored series of device logs and displays it in the Performance tab (displayed to the right of each device when the device is selected). Includes connectivity information, app crashing information, network changes, location, app update, power status, memory usage, device and app information, and more
- Take Screenshot - Takes a screenshot of what is currently on the app. The app must be open when the command is sent. The screenshot is displayed in the Screenshots section of the Support tab (displayed to the right of each device when the device is selected)
- Get Device Location - Returns the location of the device and displays it within the Device Information section of the Support Tab (displayed to the right of each device when the device is selected)
- Check Compliance - Available for apps with our security SDK embedded in it, it will return the security information of the device
- Apply Settings - Will apply any settings templates that you have saved in your Managed Saved Settings
- Actions - This lists al the actions scheduled in this sequence. The actions will fire in this order starting from the top. When this action is completed successfully the next action in the list will fire. If the device is not checking in these actions will complete the next time it does. Drag and drop to change the order of the actions
- Schedule - Displays all the action sequences that have been created for this Action Group. The On button will stay on even after an action has completed and can be turned to Off at any time. The app name, date or frequency, time and number of actions is also displayed. From here you'll be able to delete an action sequence entirely or edit an existing one to reflect a new date and time.
4 - Frequent Scheduled Action Examples
Example 1 - Change App Settings or Applying New Settings to the App
- There must already have been a settings template created. For help in creating a settings template see the article Creating and Using Templates.
- Select the Action Group you want to apply the new settings to
- Click Add New Sequence and give it a name
- Select the time you want the settings to apply to the device, select One Time and click Add New Action
- Select Apply Settings
- Select the desired settings template from the drop down list
- Click Add
Example 2 - Taking Screenshots Daily
- Select the Action Group you want to take screenshots of
- Click Add New Sequence and give it a name
- Select the time you want the screenshot to take (remember that the app needs to be open for a screenshot to take), select One Time and click Add New Action
- Select Take Screenshot
- Click Add
Thank you for reading this tour of Manager. To find more tours on different features of Manager, please visit https://support.moki.com